We blinked and almost missed it! Today marks 100 days until the beginning of the 8th New Librarians’ Symposium at the National Library of Australia in June. I asked the planning committee to put together a list of things anyone comingto NLS8 should do before the symposium and here they are: (we tried to get to 100 things, but you know…life happened).
- Investigate the program and schedule your weekend accordingly. Never underestimate the power of a well-planned day!
- Do some research on our keynotes to get pumped and inspired: Jane Caro, International Librarians Network (Alyson Dalby, Clare McKenzie, Kate Byrne), Mylee Joseph, and R. David Lankes.
- Consider a Friday workshop, there are a whopping 5 to choose from! All unique and hands-on experiences.
- If you don’t want to do a workshop on Friday, why not take a tour? There are two bus tours and one walking tour to choose from.
- Register ASAP! Don’t forget, the early bird gets the worm and you’re more likely to secure a spot in a Friday workshop or tour.
- If you’re not a Canberra local, you need to find your way to town and book your transport & accommodation. We don’t want you hitchhiking (unless you’re into that) or sleeping on a park bench (unless you’re into that too).
- Make sure your social media is all up-to-date – this includes Twitter, LinkedIn, Email, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat… or whatever else you use to record memories and network.
- Follow @alianls on Twitter and Instagram to keep up-to-date.
- Plan how you will stay in contact with key people after NLS8. Business cards are a great idea, get creative.
- Dress to impress! Plan your outfits…remember it’ll be cold in Canberra and wear comfy shoes for all that walking around!
- Make a plan to document your experience & record the PD, whether it be for your studies or your own personal reflection.
- Practice introducing yourself to strangers – have an elevator pitch! Networking can be intimidating but fun.
- Remember those little incidental things like: phone chargers, iPads, water bottle, tissues, etc.
- Check out some of the other sites while you’re in town. Canberra has a myriad of GLAM spaces you could visit.
- Don’t forget to check out the NLS8 blog for lots of ideas and information leading up to NLS8.
— Annette Messell, NLS8 Program Co-Captain and QLD representative for ALIA SNGG (TW: @nettymess)